SC - Oogy gingerbread problem

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Mon Jan 24 09:26:13 PST 2000

david friedman wrote:
> At 7:33 AM -0500 1/20/00, Lurking Girl wrote:
> >
> >They're soft.  It was reasonably fresh bread that I munged in my Christmas
> >present (a Cuisinart--I'd never met a food processor before--it's so
> >COOL!)  Should they be dry, then, instead?
>
> You said the proportions from our Miscellany didn't work. We use the
> kind of bread crumbs you buy in a box, which are completely dried
> out, and get a stiff texture--a bit stickier than modeling clay, but
> stiff enough that I have found my kids making little figures with it
> before they eat it.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Yep, that solved the problem.  I realized where I got the
fresh-breadcrumb notion--one of the first books I was reading, it
would have been either Pleyn Delit or To the King's Taste, had a blurb
about NEVER using store-bought breadcrumbs for stuff because your food
would turn out gritty and nasty.  When first trying gingerbrede, I saw
the thing about "grated bread" and thought that would be hard with
regular bread, but bowed to the uber-rule.

Lesson #3: do what the recipe _says_.

Vika