SC - a grid?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jan 20 01:02:49 PST 2000

Lurking Girl wrote:

> Tonight, I upped the voltage to 2 cups breadcrumbs.  STILL too oogy!  I
> want to be able to roll them into balls for a dessert board this weekend.
> I have ceased to believe that the amount of breadcrumbs is the problem.
> What step am I missing?  (A brief attempt at kneading led to glops of
> honey crud all over me, the counter, and an investigating feline.)

Being the bad and ill disciplined cook that I am, I didn't bother so
much with measuring. I heated the honey and added breadcrumbs until they
absorbed all the honey and I couldn't stir without risk of breaking the
spoon or my wrist. Gut feel was around a 2:1 ration of crumbs to honey,
maybe more crumb. I did grind the crumbs finely, and not until the bread
had dried thoroughly (I helped it along by cutting the bread thin and
placing it in the oven on the lowest setting with the door ajar - dried
but not toasted.) The gingerbread came out like firm marzipan and took
some effort to cut. Pliable, but not gooey. Some of the leftover bread I
gently baked in the oven and it is more firm and bready. Given the sugar
content, this stuff should keep fairly well for a short time, and
actually dehydrate a bit while it sits.

Seumas