SC - Oogy gingerbread problem

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Thu Jan 20 21:21:37 PST 2000

Sigh!  The third day of what looks to be an
eternal 1000 calorie a day diet has ended for
me.  Do diets make anyone else crave odd
and absolutely forbidden foods?  Marrow
bones keeps coming to my mind. I acquired
a taste for it some years ago when we had
a ton of beef and venison bone that were going
to be wasted.  Some, we used for stock, but I
thought the larger ones would be good for marrow.
I had read a great deal about how esteemed it was
in period times.  Before long, I had gotten to really
like its taste, though my kitchen crew thought the concept
was gross!  I saved the liquid marrow fats in tubs
and used it for flavour in a number of  in all kinds
of stews and things.  It was rather like butter.

My question is have any of y'all served marrow bones
at SCA feasts, at head table for instance, or ever
have rendered the marrow for cooking oil purposes.
I find that it freezes and keeps well , though hell may
freeze over before I lose my allotted 70 pounds and can
have it (occasionally) again.  Any good period data on
marrow dishes would be appreciated.

Akim
"No glory comes without pain"