SC - a grid?

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Jan 21 10:27:00 PST 2000

Today's breakfast was Christianna's rendering of Platina's Golden Balls,
heavily adjusted to fit my dietary needs and what I had on hand in the
pantry.

I took two slices of dietetic whole wheat bread and soaked them in a
mixture of a beaten egg and a tablespoon of rosewater.  I did not add
sugar to the egg mixture.  Meanwhile, I soaked a few strands of saffron
in a half tablespoon of rosewater.  Since I didn't start the soaking much
in advance, I helped it along by pressing the saffron with the back of a
spoon.

I cooked the bread in a non-stick pan lightly sprayed with oil, then
sprinkled it with the saffron-rosewater and a teaspoon of sugar.  I was
afraid that the results might be overpoweringly rosewater-flavored, but in
fact, the taste was quite subtle.  The drizzle of bright-gold saffron liquid
added an additional nuance of flavor, and looked very pretty.

I can well imagine that made with white rolls and butter, and with a more
generous quantity of sugar, it would be an even richer and more flavorful
dish.  I would not serve this modified version at a feast.  However, as a
way of introducing some medieval flavors into my mundane diet, it
worked quite nicely.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann