SC - Candlemas Royalty lunch menu

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Jan 21 10:33:12 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 21 Jan 00,, that Christi Rigby wrote:

> The best reward I have had?

Hmmm... twice I have received a token at a bardic circle for a tale that
pleased someone.  Neither was a costly item (one is only a seashell
glued to a pin-back), but I treasure them highly.

My first large feast was a Mudthaw (my barony's major annual event),
on an Italian theme, with dishes out of Apicius, Platina, and Epulario.  I
was more than half-expecting it to be a Royal Progress event, since
Mudthaw often is, but this was the year of the Great BoD Controversy,
and the King called a council, and most of the brass hats of the
Eastrealm were there.  I was, to put it bluntly, terrified.  The meal went
well, despite some timing problems, and I received many kind remarks
from the feasters.  Two things stick out in my mind.  It's common in this
area for there to be a toast to the cooks, following the toasts to the
royalty and other dignitaries.  Since it's often in the middle of the feast,
the cooks usually hear it dimly through the kitchen door.  At this event,
the king summoned the entire kitchen crew into the royal presence to
receive their cheers.  The other, more private compliment, was delivered
to me by a member of the entourage of the Prince of Aethelmarc.  She
told me that His Highness was considering kidnapping me and taking
me back to Aethelmarc.

I have entered competitions a few times, and though winning a ribbon
was pleasing, the experience was terribly stressful, and I would not do it
often.   Formal awards are certainly agreeable, but other, less
structured kinds of recognition can be very, very gratifying.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net