SC - Period French Toast Recipies

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Sat Jan 22 14:37:15 PST 2000

  When I first started reading this list I had practically no hands on
experience with cooking and a fair amount of theoretical cooking knowledge.
Despite a lack of kitchens in the dorm, I read all the recipes making mental
note of what spices went with which things.

  I found the ongoing thread on rec.org.sca where someone is complaining about
the prevalence of ginger, saffron, cinammon and other spices in most sca feasts,
rather funny because a recent completely mundane 15 bean stew (made with beef
marrow bone, carrot, corn, black eyed peas, and onion) was spiced copiously with
black pepper, some herbs, cinammon and ginger.

ingredients:

marrow bone - bought already chopped.  I used either six or seven ~1 inch
sections of marrow bone.

15 bean mix - bought already packaged as a 15 bean soup mix.  I -did not- use
the ham flavoring.

4 or 5 carrots

1 onion (definitely needs more onion than this)

2 cans corn

1 can black eyed peas

1/2 can diced tomatoes

ginger

cinammon

black pepper

mustard powder

garlic

don't recall what herbs I used, when starting my kitchen this summer I got a
spice rack at a thrift store completely filled with herbs and herb mixes (i.e.
"Italian Seasoning"), and when cooking I tend to randomly grab, sniff, and if it
seems like it might taste good, add.

recipe:
This is just your general plain and simple add vegetables and keep on the burner
until it's gone thick and hearty stew.  After making the marrow stock, I added
the beans, then the onion, carrots, corn, peas, tomatoes, and spices.  Very yum,
very filling.