SC - Care of Horn?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jan 23 11:49:48 PST 2000

i answered this query on the rialto and will give the same answer here -
if you take a known recipe and change it you are turning the result into
an -unknown- entity.  yes, someone might have made it that way, but they
might not, and knowing the reasons why they would not involve a much
deeper knowledge of historic culinary culture than most of us have, or can
have.

spicing had as much to do with balancing the humors of food as it did with
making it pleasant to the palate - perhaps more so.  taking the ginger or
garlic out of a recipe might result in something that was perceived as
very harmful, even poisonous, but would be quite edible if the garlic (or
ginger or saffron or galengale) were included to balance the dish.

we eat ketchup and mustard on hamburgers with buns.  would we also eat
ketchup and mustard on breakfast muffins?  why not?  and how would someone
just reading a recipe or looking at a hamburger advertisement know that?

it's fine to make "perioid" food and eat it.  but we need to acknowledge
what it is - our own idea not a re-creation.

elaina