SC - 16th Century Recipes

WOLFMOMSCA@aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Mon Jan 24 04:46:33 PST 2000

Ras wrote:

>Lamb fat would be a  far better substitute than either lard or oil. Neither
>lard nor oil possess the requisite flavor that tail fat does.

Quite correct, but tail fat is softer than inside fat from lamb, has a lower
melting point and does not have the tallowy aftertaste that inside fat
sometimes does, so it may not be totally interchangeable. Not that I have
much experience with tail fat, as Icelandic sheep are short-tailed, but I
understand the fat has much the same characteristics as the soft deposits of
fat sometimes found around the throat, or on the feet. Fótafeiti, "feet
fat" - that is, rendered fat from sheep´s feet - used to be the preferred
fat here for frying sweet things like kleinur, love balls and pancakes,
because of these characteristics.

Nanna