SC - Check out Misc. Special Events

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Jan 30 04:52:04 PST 2000

Bear commented:
> Since the references Stefan quotes are at least late Reconquest, I would say
> the Islamic prohibition does not apply.  This would also be early in the
> spread of hopped brews, so the question of whether we are talking about all
> brews or only hopped beers is very valid.  I would suggest that the Iberian
> climate is probably not optimal for brewing without refrigeration, so that
> wine might be the beverage of choice.

Interesting comment about the climate and brewing. I was thinking more of
the fact that grapes grow much better in Spain than England when I made my
comment. I have only brewed mead and not beer or wine. What is it that
makes wine brewing more suited to Spain's climate than beer brewing? Do
the wine yeasts prefer warmer weather than those typically used in beers
and ales? I would have thought similar conditions were needed for beer
or wine.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net