SC - freezing mushroom pasties

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Mon Jan 31 13:08:57 PST 2000

And Adamantius wrote:

>You can freeze them (frozen mushroom pastry hors d'ouvre are big
>bidness!), but they probably won't be very good if simply allowed to
>thaw and then served.

I can confirm this from personal experience. Thankfully not from a
feast I cooked. I made a version of mushroom pies.

>What I recommend is that you make them now, freeze
>them unbaked (are these turnovers or little tarts?) and then bake them
>from a frozen state as shortly before serving as possible. Which might
>mean the night before, but if I were doing it I'd get to bed early the
>night before and finish cooking in the very early morning. YMMV.

I tried this too with the pies and I didn't like the results.
Mostly I think due to the crust and cheese problems others have pointed
out.

What I eventually settled on was making the pie crusts well in advance
and freezing those until the day before needing them. I parboiled the
mushrooms and added all the ingredients the day before then
baked them the day of. I also followed the same path, did everything
two days sooner, baked the pies the day before, kept them
refigerated until the day of, and then let them warm to room
temp and served them that way (they were also taken this
way on a camping trip, which worked out nicely).

People like the pies room temp but I like them better hot.

jasmine
iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com