SC - 16th Century recipes a few questions.

Mon Jan 31 06:58:26 PST 2000

> I have been looking through the translation Das Kochbuch der Sabina
> Welserin
> for recipes and have a couple of questions
>
> 1. In recipe number 89, To make a strawberry tart, the recipe says "Next
> let
> it bake a short while, pour Malavosia over it and let it bake a while,
> then
> it is ready. "  What is Malavosia?

Malavosia is malmsey.  You will probably find it in under the name Malvasia
( or possibly Malvoisie, depending on vintner) at your wine dealer.  It is a
sweet, light gold colored wine.  It was difficult to find in Norman, OK,
when I did this recipe.

> 2.  In recipe number 186, To make an herb tart, it calles for Parmesan
> cheese.  I know that the "cheese" debate has occured on the list before,
> but
> for the life of me I cannot remember if  Parmesian was listed as one of
> the
> period cheeses.  Is Parmesan cheese period?
>
> Noemi

Parmesan cheese is definitely period and was very likely available to the
Welsers as they were one of the major German banking families in the
international trade.

Bear