SC - question regarding the Icelandic chicken

Richard Keith keith.78 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 31 06:56:29 PST 2000

I was thinking of playtesting the Icelandic chicken that was so thoroughly
discussed a few months ago, and a question occured to me.

Just WHICH sage would have been used in iceland? There are so MANY bloody
varieties. Would a clary sage be useful? (Thats the one that i have the
most access to, and I have a REAL low frustration factor when it comes to
exotic ingredients).

Btw, the only translation I have of the recipe is the one below. Are there
any further variations on it?

 >>My translation:
 >>

 >>One shall cut a raw chicken in two lengthwise and take a flour dough and
 >>make a plate thereof and cut lardons small into it and lay on it whole sage
 >>leaves  and ground pepper and salt and wrap the chicken in it so it is
 >>completely covered, and bake as much as other bread.
 >>

 >>Nanna

Thank you in advance,
Maggie