SC - 16th Century recipes a few questions. . .

Mon Jan 31 06:52:30 PST 2000

nikkijim at montana.com wrote:

>         Hi all!  I'm Lady Grania McNish of Eagle's Eyre from Sentinels'
> Keep in Artemisia.  I live in Hamilton, MT.  I'm interested in period
> cooking of all kind.  I've been head cook at more events than I care
> to remember and use to own/operate a catering business that
> specialized in medieval feasts.  I especially enjoy "camp" or
> outdoor cooking.
>
>         I look forward to learning more being a member of this list!

Welcome, Lady Grania! Of course some of what you may learn will
occasonally veer into uncharted territory, philosphical discussions of
Twinkies and guys named Mario Nebbits, and spirited debates on
13th-century English pastry recipes in Middle English. And a bunch of
other stuff.

For myself, one thing I'm always glad to be reminded of is the fact that
on an SCA-wide (not to mention extra-SCA) list, we run the full range of
SCA cultural anthropology in the kinds of event cookery we tend to do.
It seems to me I can think of about four different basic types: there's
outdoor/camp cookery, there's the potluck affair in which most of the
cooking is done at home, there are the big hotel-based events which are
often catered with or without the involvement of any SCA cooks or
researchers, and events at indoor sites with kitchens. There are others,
but these seem to be the most prevalent overall. And then, of course,
there's the time-honored method of promoting the use of period recipes
in your SCA cooking by simply bringing good period food to the events
(and other SCA functions) you attend, and passing it around.

Most of my own experience with SCA cookery has been in indoor kitchens,
but it's always nice to be reminded that there are several different
focuses (foci?) here, for all that they all tend to involve using heat
and cold to turn good ingredients into good food.

Again, welcome, and please feel free to jump in at any time!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com