SC - 16th Century recipes a few questions

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Mon Jan 31 20:35:55 PST 2000

we make soup and keep adding to it, leaving it on the
> > stove between times.  During the day, it stays on low heat and at night
>it's
> > turned off.  Before it is served up, I make sure it is brought to a full
> > rolling boil and stays boiling for 10 minutes or so. When ingredients
>are
> > added, it's also brought up to a boil.
>
>But do you refrigerate it at night or just turn the stove off? It is my
>understanding, from earlier comments here, that the heat distroys only the
>live beasties but has no impact on any toxins they may have created.

I turn the stove off about midnight and back on again about 7 a.m. and keep
the pot covered all the time we aren't actually dishing up soup. It usually
starts out at vegetable beef soup, with the most likely additions being
leftover veggies.  Leftover meat from another meal is rare because we are
not big meat eaters and tend to only fix exactly enough.  Something like a
ham would be an exception and it would not end up in this soup because I
always have plans for those leftovers.

IN any case, we don't add raw meats to the soup pot after it's started as
it's purpose is as a home for leftovers. We might add cleaned and trimmed
raw vegetables sometimes.  The process is, fix a meal which is kept as warm
and covered as possible during the meal, then if it seems the particular
leftovers would improve the soup (or the soup would improve the leftovers)
they are added to the soup which is then brought to a rolling boil.  The
opportunity for the beasties to produce toxins is kept to a minimum.  It's
never been a problem for us.

Like I said though, this is in our kitchen at home in cold weather.
Outdoors at any camp in the summer has not been tested by me.

Bonne