SC - 16th Century recipes a few questions

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Mon Jan 31 20:35:55 PST 2000

Okay, I'm going to display the depth of my ignorance of wine, but
since Sabina Welser specifically mentioned a sweet red wine for the
strawberry tart wouldn't it make sense, if Malmsey or Malavosia was
hard to find, to substitute another sweet red wine? Would using a
sweet white wine make a big difference in the outcome?

In the messages in this digest all these wines were suggested:
 sweet sherry, German May Wine , light mead, nutty desert wine (which one?).
 Kabinet, trochenbarenauslese or an icewein. Okay, of all those I am
familiar with sherry and mead. Even though I like a nice mead, if left
to my own devices I would likely pick sherry.

Could someone sort through the rest and tell me what they are in
particular. I thought icewein was made from frozen grapes, is it
either red or white or both?

Valoise