SC - Period French Toast Recipies

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Jan 17 08:29:52 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 16 Jan 00,, that Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> To which Brighid responded:
> > Oh dear.  I'm not sure that I'm ready for my own appendix.  Couldn't I
> > just start out with a footnote, and gradually work my way up?  :-)
>
>  Oh, don't be so modest.  After all, translating and making available to
> us heretofore unknown in English recipes from period Spanish sources is
> nothing to sneeze at!

I thought modesty and humility were considered virtues in the Middle
Ages.  :-)

Reading this list, with its many experienced and scholarly cooks, tends
to encourage a sense of modesty in me.  I do the translating because
it's interesting and fun.

> And for those who were wondering, I did very
> well with my entry.  I received a Superior (roughly equivallent to 1st
> place in our judging system) and the comment I have been waiting for my
> entire 21 -year long SCA carreer "Your documentation is perfect". YES!

Congratulations on your well-deserved success.  And thank you for
posting the documentation.  Very interesting.  I read it, coincidently,
while eating French toast for breakfast -- a dietetic version with sugar-
free syrup, and surely not as yummy as yours.  But perhaps I will try
adding a touch of rosewater and/or poudre douce to mine... hmmm...

> I am probably going to do this one again for our Kingdom A&S on Memorial
> Day, so I welcome comments and suggestions as to how I can tweak it to
> make it even better.

Just two brief comments.

In the recipe for Paynfoundew, you modernized the phrase "frye it in
grece other in oyle" as "fry it in grease or other oil".  In the glossary to
_Curye on Inglysch_ "other" is defined as the conjunction "or".  So
perhaps "fry it in grease or oil" would be a slightly better wording?

And about my appendix...  The story about the Cardinal is my
paraphrase of the original Spanish.  I believe that it's a fairly accurate
paraphrase, but you might want to make it clear that the story as it
appears there is not a direct translation of the text.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net