SC - Candlemas Royalty lunch menu

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 19:27:34 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/21/00 9:03:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mermayde at juno.com writes:

<<  I just ran through my vegetables file quickly to see if I had anything
 about period sweet onions, and didn't find much, just references to sweet
 onions.  (Here's one from one of Lady Brighid's translations "Take the
 white onions, and sweet ones, and the bigger they are, the better, and
 make them cook in water and salt,...").  >>

This doesn't surprise me.
Does the term 'Sweet Spanish Onion' ring a bell? These were the standard in
sweet onions before the yuppie fascination with Vidallias. BTW, the seed
catalogs list a variety of Vidallia that was selected specifically for
northern gardens this year.  I suspect the 'sulfur' story is a fabrication of
the local producers of Vidallias while they still had a monopoly on them.
With the introduction of the new northern variety, we are thankfully freed
from these overpriced vegetables in the market place should we choose to grow
them. ;-) Personally, I try to get the Sweet Spanish ones. They have far more
depth of flavor than Vidallias.

Ras