SC - VEGETARIAN HAGGIS

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Jan 23 11:20:13 PST 2000

I am passing this along for any cook that is interested.  I got this off a
vegetarian food list.
Phillipa

 (the traditional Scottish dish is usually made with heart, liver, kidney
etc.. of sheep, and despite that very yummy).

 Veggie Haggis

 4 T canola oil
 50g organic rolled oats
 50g pinhead  or steelcut oatmeal
 50g chopped mixed nuts
 1 onion, finely chopped
 113g mushrooms, finely chopped
 1 carrot, finely chopped
 1 c. cooked kidney beans, drained and chopped
 ½ c red lentils
 50g vegetable suet
 1 T marmite
 1T ground black pepper
 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
 2 T each of chopped mixed fresh herbs (sage, thym, marjoram)
 pinch of grated nutmeg
 juice of 1 lime
 3 T whisky
 water

 Preheat the oven to 375F.
In a large saucepan, heat 2T of oil and add the oats, oatmeal and nuts.
Cook over a medium-low heat, stirring, for about 3 minutes until toasted and
golden.  Transfer to a bowl.
 In the remaining 2 T of oil, cook the onion, mushrooms and carrot gently for
5 minutes until softened.
Stir into the toasted oat  mixture with the remaining haggis ingredients and
seasonings.
Cook for a few minutes more.
Add 1 cup of water.  Mix well and transfer to an oven dish with a lid.
 Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
Add more water if haggis seems a bit dry.

***note:  traditionally haggis is steamed (and definitely not veggie).  To
steam the haggis, tie it up in a cheese cloth, put int in a pudding bowl, put
the pudding bowl inside a saucepan filled with water halfway up the sides of
the bowl, cover, and boil gently for a few hours.  Add more water if needed.