SC - Distilling (Was Origanum)

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 06:52:19 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/25/2000 9:16:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tantra at optonline.net writes:

> but I wouldn't put it past the
>  government to change it's mind in the 20 some odd years since that memory.

As to home distilling, they did... during the Reagan years. The Carter
administration opened up home distilling for alternative fuel.

The two hundred gallons you're thinking of are mead, beer or wine, as in
fermented beverages. While the BATF won't go out of their way to find you if
you ARE distilling, it's usually not advisable. For reference ... the one
case I know of where they did intervene it was an individual who was
distilling and selling at events. They made a polite visit and essentially
said "We know you're doing it, at the moment we can't figure out HOW you're
doing it ... but if you keep doing it we will." He took the hint.

My Uncle was the last in my immediate family who practiced the art. He had a
breakdown still made with a cooling worm attached to a pressure cooker. He
never got caught, even though he lived in a somewhat crowded trailer park.
I'm sure if he were more blatant he'd have been arrested.

My advice is.. if you don't know what you're doing, don't. And if you do,
don't enter it into an A&S competition. The SCA is getting weird enough about
simple fermentation as it is.

I think there is a brewing list for this btw.... so I apologize for anybody's
bandwidth being wasted.

Corwyn