SC - Cressee webbed

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 4 13:16:21 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/4/00 11:01:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mermayde at juno.com writes:

<<  So, it looks like we have a recipe that can be used with various cuts of
 meat, including shoulder, ribs, loin, and butt, or perhaps a recipe that
 has been used over the centuries by various authors for varying cuts of
 meat.
    Christianna >>

Yes, it can.  Here is a variation recipe.

                                            ALAUNDER OF BEEF
                                              from Ancient Cookery

Take leches of the lengthe of a fpoune, and take pareel and
 hewe fmal, and pouder of pepur, and maree, and temper bit
 togedur, and take leeches of beef, and rolle hom therin, and
  laye hom on a gridirne, and on the coles tyl they ben roiled,
 and if ye have no maree, take of the felf talgh and bewe hit
 with the parcelle, and tempur hit as ye dyd before.

                        as translated and adapted by Cahan Kyle

     1 flank steak (appox 2lb in size)
     1/2 cup butter (1 qtr lb, or 8 tbs)
     3 tsp parsley flakes
     1/4 tsp ground pepper
     3/4 tsp ground marjoram
     3/4 tsp ground thyme
     1/3 cup onions finely chopped ( this is a variation that
 is not in the original recipe and can be left out )

    Take the flank steak and cut it into 8 sections and place it in a baking
pan or dish. Melt the butter and mix all the spices in the melted butter.
Pour the mixture over the flank  steak and cover the pan/dish with aluminum
foil. Bake in the oven at 325* for 1 1/2 hours.

Serves eight.

I have used this recipe for several feasts and it always has been successful.
 I works very well with a 2 pound shoulder or 2 pound chuck roast.  I always
break down my recipes to servings of 8 so the amounts actually needed can be
totaled up for a feast. (8 people per table as the controlling variable.

Cahan