SC - Fried chicken?

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Tue Jul 11 09:53:44 PDT 2000

My old standby, granted I have this from waaaaaaay back when all I had access to
was the Vehling:
[lightly] cook scallops remove the hard and objectionable parts, mince the meat
very fine, mix this with cooked
  spelt and eggs, season with pepper, [shape into croquettes and wrap] in caul,
fry, underlay a rich fish sauce and serve as a delicious entree.

The shrimp is because I almost always have shrimp on hand, and I really like
shrimp, and I seem to remember back in our old discussions on the recipe that
spondylis was undecided.

I used the coarsegrained spelt because I just laid in my pennsic supply, and it
is a period roman grain.
I made the spelt into a really pastlike cream of wheat, thick enough to be fairly
solid when cold. I pounded the shrimps in a small mortar [one of the 2 cup marble
ones, that being what I have at home and doing a 2 person amount] then when they
were a paste I glorped in the cream o'spelt and mixed it thoroughly, added egg
and white pepper [being out of black, the penzeys run is next week] and fried in
fat peeled off of the pork roast we did a few weeks ago and stashed in the
freezer. There is not much difference, IMHO between round like meatballs, flat
patties or any other form, as long as they are mouthful in size and don't fall
apart when eaten with fingers ;-)
To whit:
1 cup cream o'spelt, cold [just sub in spelt semolina for the cream of wheat in a
typical 3 serving batch]
8 oz shrimps, peeled and sightly cooked in water with a bit of worchestershire
sauce [my desired sub for garum]
4 whole medium eggs, beaten lightly
1 quarter tsp ground white pepper
3 tbsp pork lard

the sauce was fish sauce, wine, cumin, pepper and honey. I used some of the
poaching medium from teh shrimp boosted with a bit more of the worchestershire
sauce, and added preground cumin, white pepper and some barberone wine, tasted
and added just enough honey, in its capacity for augmenting flavor rather than
making it sweet. I simmered it down a bit to make it much less drippy, about a
one third reduction.
1 half cup poaching liquid
1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1 quarter cup barberonne
1 quarter tsp pepper
1 quarter tsp cumin
1 tsp honey

I plated it with the sauce on the side in dipping bowls. I know that Vehling said
to underlay it with the sauce, but I prefer dipping.
margali