SC - Culinary Demo Ideas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 11 22:49:25 PDT 2000

>Margali gave this recipe from Vehling:
> My old standby, granted I have this from waaaaaaay back when all I had access to
> was the Vehling:
> [lightly] cook scallops remove the hard and objectionable parts, mince the meat
> very fine, mix this with cooked spelt and eggs, season with pepper, [shape into
> croquettes and wrap] in caul, fry, underlay a rich fish sauce and serve as a
> delicious entree.

What are these "hard and objectionalble" parts on scallops? All the scallops
I've seen were round disks about an inch in diameter and about half that
thick, sometimes smaller sometimes larger depending upon whether they were
from ocean or bay. These were firm, kind of like shrimp in firmness but
I don't remember any "hard and objectionalble" parts. Or were these
already removed from the ones I saw for sale at the seafood counter?

I may have to try this recipe sometime, when I'm feeling extravagent.
Although as I remember there is a big difference in price between the
bay and ocean scallops.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net