SC - Period steamed buns

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jul 11 23:04:54 PDT 2000

Evfemia asked:
> I just found out that a friend and I will be feastcratting breakfast
> this fall at Magna fair.  We have to be out of the kitchen with cleanup
> finished by 10 a.m..
>
> Please pass on good places to look on the Floregium.

Check this file in the FOOD section:
breakfast-msg     (50K)  6/14/00    What's for breakfast? SCA and period.

However, a lot of the stuff in there is SCA and not necessarily period.
There were some good quotes of some period breakfast menus given here
recently, but I think I've lost them or misfiled them. And I haven't
had time to go digging through the online archives.

Perhaps some egg recipes would be simple enough?
eggs-msg         (122K)  6/22/00    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.

Maybe with some period sausage?:
sausages-msg      (96K)  6/ 8/00    Period sausages. Making sausage.

Probably not period, but these can be cooked ahead:
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (11K) 12/17/99    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled eggs.

> I am also interested in good, period hot cereal recipes or any sweet
> bread recipes that we might consider.  Any out there?

How about (in the FOOD-BREAD-GRAINS section):
biscotti-msg       (5K)  6/12/00    Period biscotti, a twice-baked
travel bread.
bread-msg        (161K) 12/13/99    Medieval breads and grains.
French-Toast-art  (27K)  3/31/00    "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by
                                       Christianna MacGrain.
French-Toast-msg  (15K) 12/ 3/99    Period French Toast. Recipes.
fried-breads-msg  (20K)  1/11/00    Period fried breads. Funnel cakes, donuts.
pancakes-msg       (7K)  2/ 8/00    Period pancakes and pancake-like foods.
porridges-msg     (13K)  1/10/00    Period porridges and gruels.

> This will be my first time to do more than help in the kitchen and I
> want it to be as period as possible, quick, hot and filling.

A number of these ideas are more along the line of modern breakfast
ideas rather than medieval ideas of breakfast. But your diners may
not go for ale and bread for breakfast. You may have to work on
changing them to period breakfasts gradually. I think we could use
some more research on period breakfasts but this is what I've got
for now.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net