SC - Scallop

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 17:42:33 PDT 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

 "Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

  (snip)
>> I've seen several sources that the Norse enjoyed milk, either fresh
>> or soured, as a beverage but I don't know if the habit extended to the
>> lower countries.

>The Seumas wrote:
> I know the Icelanders diluted whey about 1 part whey to 11 or 12 parts
> water and consumed as a beverage.

Sorry I'm sending this twice, the first time one of my Persian cats jumped on
the send button before I'd written anything :-0

What I meant to say was that in Anthropology we learned that if a person can
tolerate milk to drink as an adult it really is an abnormal state.  Usually
for humans the ability to tolerate milk switches off as the human becomes an
adult.   But in countries where dairy products have to be a major source of
the diet, adaption occurs over generations and milk etc can be tolerated (and
enjoyed) all the way through life.

I think that if the present day peoples of the countries we are talking about
in this thread drink and tolerate a lot of milk (I certainly do!),and have
things like traditional milk based dishes etc in their cuisines, IMHO chances
are that their ancestors also drank milk there too, and loved it as we do
today.

My four penneth

Elysant