SC - Re: now did Vikings drink milk

Elysant@aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 17:36:33 PDT 2000

In a message dated 07/13/2000 7:18:10 PM EST, seumas at mind.net writes:

<< Subj:     Re: SC - Re: now did Vikings drink milk
 Date:  07/13/2000 7:18:10 PM EST
 From:  seumas at mind.net (James F. Johnson)
 Sender:    owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
 To:    sca-cooks at ansteorra.org

 "Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

 > Well upon reading it a couple of times it appears to me that what upset
 > the heroes wasn't the fact that milk wasn't drunk but that they were
 > expecting something a bit stronger.
 >
 > I've seen several sources that the Norse enjoyed milk, either fresh
 > or soured, as a beverage but I don't know if the habit extended to the
 > lower countries.

 I know the Icelanders diluted whey about 1 part whey to 11 or 12 parts
 water and consumed as a beverage. And while it was acceptable to offer
 it in hospitality, if you were discovered to have held back the good
 stuff (mead, beer, etc) and only offered the whey, the fur would start
 to fly. If the whey was all you had, then that was acceptable if
 offered. The former happens in Egil's Saga when he finds the innkeeper
 has held back the good food and drink, expecting the king, and given
 Egil skyr curds and diluted whey. Egil makes known his heartfelt
 disappointment at his treatment by the innkeeper, and, er,....'returns'
 the curds and whey to his host.

 Seumas