SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2440

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 17:33:20 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/13/00 7:55:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> Well upon reading it a couple of times it appears to me that what upset
>  the heroes wasn't the fact that milk wasn't drunk but that they were
>  expecting something a bit stronger.
>
>  I've seen several sources that the Norse enjoyed milk, either fresh
>  or soured, as a beverage but I don't know if the habit extended to the
>  lower countries.
>
>  Maybe Nanna could give some insight.
>
>  Gunthar

I no longer have the original work, but I recall that the drink was thought
to be water and turned out to be milk. I do agree however, that it may have
been the particular circumstances that resulted in his adverse reaction,
hense my final comment "maybe not to this Viking" and maybe it would be
suitable to others. The saga  also mentions drinking and preserving with whey
 ( the liquid left from cheese making) but no other mention of milk as a
drink per se.

Hauviette