SC - Re: Killer cooks

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 10:57:02 PDT 2000

At 08:09 AM 7/17/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:41:01 EDT
>From: BalthazarBlack at aol.com
>Subject: Re: SC - Calaphon pots & pans
>
>In a message dated 7/16/00 11:18:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tsersen at nni.com
>writes:
>
> > (side-hote: Balthazar, Calphalon IS aluminum.  Some of it is also
> >  non-stick, but it is all anodized aluminum.)
>
>Right.  I should have clarified myself by saying "regular aluminum", meaning
>the non-anodized, run of the mill stuff.
>

> >  Following that point, also keep in mind that you're not supposed to make
> >  acidic things like tomato sauce in aluminum.  I don't know why - I've
> >  forgotten and used my Calphalon for heating up spaghetti sauce, and it
> >  didn't seem to make a difference to the sauce or to the pot.  I s'pose
> >  it's that Altzheimer's thing.  (What was I writing about, again?)
>
>Acidic products will pit and degrade aluminum.  Ever notice when you place
>aluminum foil over a lasagne, it gets those tiny, gray holes all over it?
>That's acid eating away the metal.  You can cook acidic ingredients in
>aluminum, but you shouldn't store them in it, or let them sit in it too long.
>
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

I have heard many times (especially in recent years) that one should not
cook in Aluminum, particularly, one should not cook acid foods in Aluminum
because the acid dissolves the aluminum into the food and then you get
aluminum in your bloodstream.  Before responding to this post though, I
thought it would be wise to confirm whatever reports I had heard, so I did
a quick little search on INFOSEEK using the search parameter: "cook in
aluminum" and came up with a few interesting results.

http://infoseek.go.com/Titles?col=WW&qt=%22cook+in+aluminum%22&svx=home_searchbox&sv=IS&lk=noframes

Besides aluminum, copper and steel were mentioned as cautionable in some
articles as well.   Here are some of the links that I thought were more
interesting for those of you who might want to read further.

http://www.greenliving.org/home/kitchen/cookware.html

http://www.natmedpro.com/nmp/Alzheim.htm

http://heskco.com/karan/pages/aluminum.htm

Sorry that I am not able to participate in the list more regularly, but I
do enjoy the discussions when I am able to drop in now and then!  I have
one folder on my HD that is dedicated STRICTLY to SCA-Cooks digests!  So
maybe someday if I want to go back and read some of the messages I never
got to read before, I can find them more easily.  There sure are a LOT of them!

- -Laurene

        COME SEE OUR WEB SITE!
           http://welcome.to/tinyzoo
             Toddler Reading page