SC - posole?

Fri Jul 21 11:24:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/21/00 10:09:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

> As I recall, when the heads of bushy stuff is chopped off, it is called
>  fennel root when merchanted.  If they leave the bushy stuff on it is
>  referred to as anise (which is actually the seed but the bushy stuff can
be
>  dried and stored and used in place of the seed or as tea or flavoring for
>  rock candy, etc

If anise is labeled as fennel, then it is simply mislabeled.  Fennel root
looks very much like a fat, white celery....with very fine, dark green fronds
at the top (like a fern).  The fine leaves are just as usable as the stalk or
bulb, and all have the classical licorice flavor.  Anise does not have the
thick white bulb, and I have actually rarely seen it sold fresh at market.
Aniseseed is generally available everywhere in spice jars.  The two seeds
differ from each other, as well.  Fennel seed is a little more "spicy", and
has a richer licorice taste than anise.  The seed is also bigger.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

In the mornin' I go walking, 'cause it helps the hurtin' soften.  I've seen a
lot of places, 'cause I miss her very often.