SC - toys for tot feast

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Jul 26 14:40:48 PDT 2000

There are excepts of the book in Petit Propos Culinaire (#60), a food history
version.  I've been slowly redacting my way through the recipes.  The picked
radish is delicate and sunlime, the quick pork stew needs more work, and I'm
not game to try the Goldfish Stomach Soup...

The article though mentions another Chinese Cookbook of around the same time
but inland chinese cuisine rather than coastal.  Anyone know much about it and
whether it has been translated?

Drake.

>I've sent off a message to Paul Buell to see if he has any thought on the
subject.
>Also, I believe he works with one of the translators of your book, Terry
Anderson.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Duke Cheng's Method for Brewing Wine
>>
>> from Ni Tsan’s Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules for Drinking and
Eating.
>> Translated by T. Wang & E. N. Anderson.  Chinese Yuan Dynasty (14th Cent.)
Text

>> Thirty catties of white flour. A peck of mung beans, cooked soft. An ounce
of
>> t'ui sha-wood aromatic. An ounce of official-quality cassia powder. Thirty
>> lotus flower buds; use only roots and petals and grind them - do not use
>> branches or styles. Mash and grind sweet melon. Use a piece of cloth and
grind
>> about one bowl of the sweet melon meat. Mash smartweed to obtain its juice.
Mix