SC - Sauce question

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Thu Jul 27 11:21:44 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/27/00 6:33:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jenne at tulgey.browser.net writes:

> The trouble would come in if you were going to have to hide that fact from
>  your diners, though. Not all the alcohol does cook out, though enough of
>  it does that it's safe to use for most people (including many recovering
>  alcoholics but not all... for some even the taste is too much).

If brought to a boil, all of the alcohol will be driven off as alcohol vapor,
since alcohol evaporates at a much lower temperature than water (I want to
say 180 degrees...or is that the temperature at which egg-whites set?).  All
that is left behind is the flavor compounds present in the original wine, and
no alcohol.  There really is no danger in serving a wine-based sauce (except,
perhaps, to asthmatics) to those who cannot tolerate/ don't want alcohol.
You cannot get drunk, or even tipsy, from eating a sauce in which the wine
has been boiled enough to evaporate the alcohol.

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(who is sure this may bring about a big debate, and so is preparing himself..)

In the mornin' I go walking, 'cause it helps the hurtin' soften.  I've seen a
lot of places, 'cause I miss her very often.