SC - Dandy lion, just dandy

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 29 18:52:49 PDT 2000

>Hi all,
>
>Back on the list after a long absence.  Lee-Gwen,  Min - why didn't you talk
>to me about this at Midwinter .... my mum is intensely gluten-intolerant.
>We've been cooking gluten-free foods for years - which is why Drake was able
>to concoct those yummy wafers for your Baroness on the fly so to speak.

Ahhh.  The wafers that had her in raptures!!!   They were lovey!!!!!!

>Coeliacs cannot ingest the following grains/substances:
>wheat, rye, oats, barley, triticale, malt, sorghum or the American maize
>(labelled corn).
>
>Please note: these are for the most intensely-intolerant. Until Miriam is
>more sure of what she *personally* can and can tolerate, I would avoid ALL
>of the above.

This was what I was afraid of.  The Baroness isn't particularly talkative
about what she can and can't eat so I'm looking for recipes that would be
suitable for the most intensely intolerant.  Better play it safe rather
than being hung, drawn and quatered by the Baroness' Champion.........

>Rice and rice flours, potato flour, real cornflour are all OK.  If you look
>in Purity or Roelf Vos or whatever your major supermarket chain, most
>cornflours will have "gluten-free" written on the packet, or it will have a
>symbol which is a sheaf of wheat with a line through it.

This is exactly the sort of information I need.  THANK YOU!!!!!  I'm not
really conversant with the sort of guidelines required when shopping for
people like this.  Jasons Dad is gluten intolerant, but to a lesser degree,
so what his mum can tell me isn't very helpful in Mirriam's case.

>>From memory Miriam should love the following biscuit recipe from Elinor
>Fettiplace - please note I have not substituted any ingredients - it is as
>the original.

(SNIP)

Thank you Mel and Drake!  I could kiss you both!!!!!!  Thank you to
everyone here as well (hugs and virtual kisses all round)  you have been
great helps!!!!  I now have a vague idea of what I'm looking for now.

- -A'adeema