SC - Watering the crops, but the lawn's dead <g>

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 29 19:07:09 PDT 2000

margali wrote:

> And where do you think gluten comes from? It is already inherent in the wheat
> itself. As a matter of fact, here is a mr wizard project for you to do. Make a
> very stiff dough out of flour and water [preferably whole wheat if you want to eat
> the result and are a health nut ;-)  ] and place it in a bowl of very cold water.
> knead it gently without breaking it up for about 1 minute. Take the lump out and
> get rid of the water [or condense the water out to get pure wheat starch. ] Repeat
> until you have a mass of gluten that no longer bleeds white in the water.
> Congratulations, you have just made wheat gluten into a form that you can now mix
> with other ingredients and use as a meat substitute...or kill the baroness!

Yep. Seitan. And whatever it's called in various Chinese dialects other
than vegetarian ham or goose. But my point that wheat, per se, contains
no gluten, merely the stuff required to make it, was only to illustrate
that some assumptions were perhaps being made on the subject, and we
could play twenty questions all weekend without getting anywhere until
we actually know which grains aren't going to cause problems. It is also
evident that actually containing gluten, or not, isn't always a
determining factor.

> Without gluten? Rice, quinoa, teff, amaranth, IIRC rye and millet

I believe rye actually does contain some gluten, or something very
close, chemically, to it. Certainly you can bake bread with the stuff.
Okay, you've listed some non-suspect grains, which is what I was hoping
someone would do. I seem to recall Lady Elinor Fettiplace has a recipe
for a griddle-fried rice crumpet/scone thingy that can be split and
buttered, so perhaps that would make a nice bread unit. I'll see if I
can find it.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy