SC - Navajo naashjizhih, Zuni chuleya-we, was posole

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 31 18:37:08 PDT 2000

Thanks, Stefan and Lady Brighid, for your comments. In the meantime, I
asked Gwen Cat if she could provide some translations, but she seems to
be on vacation or busy with other things. Thanks also to Harriet for the
links to online translation machines. However, it seems to me, that
these machines are NOT built to translate 16th century texts. The
results, I got, are not even a starting point. It seems to me, that one
should NOT use these machines unless one knows BOTH languages very well.

Here is a _rough_ translation of Rumpolts pretzel recipe #55 on page
169b:

55. Take white flour, only the white of eggs and some wine, sugar and
anise, prepare a dough with these ingredients, roll the dough with clean
hands such that it becomes longish and round. Make small pretzels from
it and put them into a warm oven and bake them so that you do not burn
it but that they get pretty dry. This way, they will become crisp and
good. If you like, you may take cinnamon as an ingredient for the dough,
too (but you can leave it). This dish is called Precedella.

As a side note to a question about a 15th century pretzel picture in a
recent mail:

IN the socalled Richenthal chronicle about the Constance concile, there
is a picture of a kind of pastry in the form of a pretzel. In the
Constance manuscript of this chronicle (fol. 23a), there is a piece of
text beneath the picture, where the pretzels in the picture are referred
to with the expression "brätschellen":

"Och waren brotbecken zu:o Costentz, die hetten ringe und claine
offenlin. Die fürten sy uff stoskerlin durch die stat und buchend darin
bastetten und ring und brätschellen und sollichs brottes. Dero warend
etlich erfüllet mit hünren, etlich mit vogeln, gewu:ortz, mit gu:otter
spetzery, und etlich mit flaisch und etlich mit vischen gebachen, wie
die ainer gern wolt haben" (23a; Feger II 173b).

"brätschellen" is also used in the Aulendorf manuscript of this
chronicle, from the 15th century too; however, the wording is slightly
different:

"... darinn sy basteten, ring und brätschelen bu:ochend. Die basteten
waren ettlich mit hüner und flaisch gemacht ...".

The difference is, that the filling is clearly mentioned in respect to
the pies. Later on, there is another passage in the text, where these
foreign bakers and their "basteten", "ring" and "brätschelen" are
mentioned again.

In the printed version of this text from 1536, the word is
"bretschelen". Alas, I don't have access to the printed edition of 1488
for the moment.

Now, all these forms seem to belong to "Brezel", whose predecessors can
be traced back to Old High German; the German word is an early loan from
Latin or/and Italian sources. (I won't go into the details of the word
history here.)

Pretzels are mentioned as an ingredient in the 15th century "Bruchstücke
aus einem alemannischen Büchlein von guter Speise" #16, p. 204.4 (this
text is online).

"ayr bretzen" (egg pretzels) are mentioned in a comparison in the
cookbook of Philippina Welser ("wie die ayr bretzen"; 51r=101.20), and
they are mentioned by Hans Sachs, too.

Apart from the two pretzel recipes in Rumpolt (1581), there are several
other recipes in later cookbooks.

Moriz Heyne (p. 277) says, that Pretzels originally were baked as a
devotional pastry...

More later,
T.