SC - Cressee webbed

ALexandria Doyle dragonlair at wireweb.net
Mon Jul 10 21:12:43 PDT 2000

> I have made cheese before (several times), but have never made a yellow
> cheese.  Although, through my experience, I have learned that early cream
> (before modernization of the dairies) did have varying degrees of yellow,
> based on the diet of the cattle, and this would change from season to
> season.
>  Sometimes, cheese and butter would remain white, and sometimes it would be
> yellowish.

Growing up my family had one cow for milk (In the old country according
to my grandfather you had everything you needed to feed your family on
one acre of land, my father had eight).  We had to process the milk and
made our own butter as well.  The butter was VERY yellow, with nothing
added to it.  I also remember my mother telling me of the early days of
margarine when the packet of yellow dye was separate so the margarine
couldn't be marketed as butter.