SC - In need of duck/goose recipes...

margali margali at 99main.com
Thu Jul 20 04:50:29 PDT 2000

Goose
Take your goose, remove any large pieces of fat that are in the body cavity and reserve.Cut little slits in the skin without cutting the flesh and rub with salt and pepper. Tuck an onion and 2 apples sliced in quarters in the body cavity. Place in a roasting pan and pop in the oven at
425 degrees fahrenheit, and baste with pan drippings every 15 minutes or so for the first hour. Cover and cook for another 30-45 minutes, then baste and check for donneness. Baste periodically until it is done [i use the leg wiggle trick, if the leg joint moves freely, your goose is
cooked...]

Take prosciutto, have the deli slice it 1/4 inch thick slices. Take about 4 slices and cut them into 1/4 inch dice. Take a good waxy potato and cut into small dice. Take the reserved goose fat and place in a heavy skillet. make homefries of the potato and prosciutto, seasoning with
freshly cracked black pepper or mingionette pepper[a blend of green, black, white and pink pepper corns] I find the prosciutto makes it unneedful to use salt, it has a nice rich taste to it.

Take a red cabbage and chop coarsly, saute with butter until almost done then add 2 sliced apples and saute until the apples are soft. Finish with a dressing of 1/2 cup red wine or cider vinegar, brown sugar and a small amount of black pepper, ground caraway seed and powdered galengale
[about 1/8 tsp each]

margali