SC - Culinary Demo Ideas

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Tue Jul 11 09:56:14 PDT 2000

You can always tell when I'm avoiding something, I suddenly get prolific in
my postings :->
(apologies to anyone on the Madrone list who's already seen a version of
this)

We'll be doing a big demo to the public later this summer & I'd be
interested to see what ideas the rest of y'all have for good demos.

note that we have a few issues to work around:
*  no open fires - in fact cooking with fire of any kind is a bit dubious
*  we're out in a big parking lot under a day shade & it gets very windy
*  no distributing food other than cookie like objects because of health
dept regulations.
*  the attendees have a fairly short attention span :->

what we're already planning:
*  Madrone's now famous NewWorld/OldWorld food game
*  A sandwich board with medieval recipes translated into modern english (we
specifically pick foods with modern equivalents like apple pie & macaroni to
show that they ate familiar foods)
*  a bunch of foods like barley & spices & the like in thier natural vs
processed forms, with some info on what it takes to get between the two.
*  a display of a medieval table setting with a bread trencher - for some
reason the trencher is fascinating to people :->
*  churning butter

I definately want to have a "medieval food myths" debunking demo of some
kind, any bright ideas?   something interactive would be better.

Any other things folks have done?  any suggestions for refining or adding to
the plans above?

Thanks for any ideas/feedback,

Eden
WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com