SC - Evil, OT Copyright Stuff

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 13 08:28:17 PDT 2000

>>> Copyright, plagiarism and all the negative connotations
>>> which accompany it are relatively modern ideas and
>>> really are irrelevant concepts when applied to medieval
>>> writings.  I am surprised that the use of these terms
>>> are inappropriately applied to period manuscripts with
>>> regularity. Copying may be a 'bad' thing now but it
>>> most certainly was NOT throughout almost the entirety
>>> of SCA period.

Ras, you haven't taken my class on "Copyright Law for the SCA," have you?  The earliest documented copyright case comes from the 12th Century.  The concept did exist in period and was used, but not so much by the creators.  It started to come into major use in the Elizabethan era (end of SCA period) and really came into its own in the 18th Century (post-period).

But this is rather OT.  I'm currently in another spate of Things To Cook For Camping, which involves both the Period and the Periodoid.  The Indian dinner at Lillies was well-received (except for complaints about not enough dessert -- <G!>), and I am planning a breakfast for Thursday of Pennsic to a select group, as well as working out the logistics for baking fresh Challah for the Shabbat service on Friday night.  WHEW!

Have to make a couple things to get me through Horse & Falcon this weekend; trying to avoid my granola-bar-and-trail-mix habit.

                            ---= Morgan