SC - Recipe Challenge again???

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Thu Jun 1 06:31:11 PDT 2000

Thanks Francesco/David for your clarification! However, I have an
additional question about [4] in your answer:

<< Francesco Sirene pipes up to assure her
[1] that spicanardi is the same thing as spikenard,
[2] which definitely is *not* lavender.
[3] The confusion comes from the fact that there is a variety of
lavender known as "spike" lavender, which may on occasion be known as
spica or spike.
[4] But when the term "nard" in any form comes in as part of the term,
it is spikenard which is referred to, not lavender. >> [Numbers added]

Am I right to assume, that [4] is a statement about our modern language
use?

Is [4] true in respect to former centuries and to the expressions of
different languages, too? I am not so sure:

- -- Marzell treats the German expression "spike-narde" under Lavandula
latif. (I don't have the dictionary at hand, only the index vol.), and
the huge Deutsches Wörterbuch gives many examples where the expression
"spikenarde" is used to refer to lavender.
- -- In the herbal of Tabernaemontanus, it is said "daß der Spicanard und
der Lavendel einander fast ähnlich und verwandt seyn" (that "Spicanard"
und "Lavendel" are very much alike and close relatives in various
respects) and that lavender was also called _Spicanardus foemina_
(_female Spicanardus_).
- -- The Dizionario etimologico della lingua italiana says that _spigo_
and _spigonardo_ meant 'lavanda', and in the entry _Lavanda_ they quote
a passage from the herbal of Matthiolus: "Toscanamente dicesi _spigo_"
(in the dialect of the Toscana, lavender is called _spigo_).
- -- The OED gives as meaning (3) of _spikenard_: "3. + a. Lavender. Obs.
(Cf. spike n.1 4.)
1563 T. Hill Art Garden. (1593) 94 Lauender is an hearbe sweet in
smelling; [and] for that it giueth no lesse sauor than the Spike, is of
the same named Spikenard.
1579 Langham Gard. Health (1633) 622 Spikenard (see Lauender).
1736 N. Bailey Household Dict. s.v., Spikenard or Lavender Spike."

Thus, it seems at least _possible_ to me, that in former centuries
people were refering to (some kind of) lavender, using terms like fr.
"espic", it. "spigo", "spico", "spigonardo", germ. "spikanarde" or engl.
"spikenard".

Am I missing something here?

Best,
Thomas