SC - WANTED Period recipe for an apple & chestnut pie

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Sun Jun 4 07:33:52 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< First of all, yes...a mousse must, in the literal sense, contain egg
whites  >>

According to my sources, mousse MUST contain, whipped cream, gelatin OR egg
whites. Anyway, I may have missed something or deleted something somewhere
along the line but what is the background of this discussion?

The word 'mousse' dates to 1892 CE which is well in line with your classical
training. Does the basic makeup of a mousse date before that? Are there
period examples dating before 1450 CE?

So far as terrine is concerned, it is a bastardization of the word 'tureen,'
IMO. Again the origin of the term as we know it appears to be well outside
SCA period and at least 250 years after medieval cuisine changed into Early
Modern cuisine.

(ter*rine (noun) [French -- more at TUREEN]

First appeared circa 1706

 1 a : TUREEN 1
   b : a usu. earthenware dish in which foods are cooked and served
 2 : a mixture of chopped meat, fish, or vegetables cooked and served in a
terrine

IMO, finding either term within SCA period cookery manuals would be unlikely
although there may by recipes which would produce similar results.
So far as what consistency or what nature brei and mus are (were), the best
way to find out is to roll up the sleeves and go to the kitchen...:-)

Ras