SC - Free verse: A Cook's Lament

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 5 17:40:29 PDT 2000

At 7:20 AM -0400 5/10/00, JVButlerJr at aol.com wrote:

>     My specific idea was to do an "Age of Exploration" feast which included
>period recipes... PERIOD RECIPES, NOT "BLATANTLY MODERN FOOD"... from the
>various places that European travellers went.  Thai soups, Indian desserts,
>Korean meat dishes, Chinese breads, Japanese fish recipes, African vegetable
>dishes, Arabian coffees... and yeah, maybe even something from North or South
>America, if I can find a recipe and PROVE THAT THE RECIPE IS PERIOD.
>
>     None of these items would be "blatantly modern".  I see nothing blatantly
>modern about imam bayildi (arabic), or tam ka gai (Burmese), or steamed
>salmon with rice and vinegar (Japanese), or bluefish stuffed with grapes
>(Arrowak indian), or phad kaprow (Thai).  There is nothing that would destroy
>the atmosphere about Mujadarra (arabic again), beef roast with yogurt
>(Mongolian), mushrooms with black bean and pepper sauce (Afghan), or orange
>slices with honey (Kenyan).
>     All of the food I just mentioned are all period recipes, and all come
>from cultures other than Europe.  Point to the one which is "blatantly
>modern".

When you say that they are "period recipes," do you mean that you
have access to period cookbooks from Burma, Japan, Thailand, etc.? If
so, perhaps you could publish the information here, so that other
people can read them if they have been translated, or try to get them
translated them if they have not.

Which of the period arabic cookbooks does "Imam Bayildi" appear in,
and under what name?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/