SC - Kvas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 5 21:59:10 PDT 2000

Gwen-Cat said:
> Here is a rough (meaning I would like additional input before sending off a
> final version for the Florithingy.  Let me know if you want it to be in this
> format or if you want only the English... for now I did it this way to make
> proofing/puzzling out the last few questions easier.)

Thank you. I have saved Thomas' original message as well as this one.
When it
has been discussed/worked out more, I'd appreciate a new message. At that
time I will replace this one. If that doesn't happen for some reason, then
I'll have this one.

I also have been saving the various messages on the Manual de Mugeres
that Dana is working on. I hope she will post to the list or me, a
final, consolidated version of this when it is further along and whenever
she thinks it should be changed after that.

Since both of you have taken on these two projects, I'd prefer to
have you produce a more uniform version than have me try this or
have me put it in the Florilegiium in it's rather raw form and have
the reader try to make heads or tails of it.

> Holloptrida
> Transcription by Thomas
> Translation (still rough) by M. Grasse/Gwen Catrin von Berlin

> Gwen-Cats puzzlements:
> (in #8) Zirwonada I belive to be roast though I have heard it translated as a
> type of sausage) auff Welsch gemacht  in the Welsch style???
> I could not find a real translation or botanical name for Wasserrueben (in
> #38)... Waterroots???
> I am not sure the meaning of Geselcht (in #64)... chopped???
> I never could find a translation or zoological name for Duckente (in #78)...
> it is some sort of duck.
> and finally in the instructions bit... Zettelweisz and bemelt.  I think
> Thomas will need to puzzle these out.   Thanks in advance on any feedback.

> Hollopotrida zu machen/ mit aller Zugeho:erung.
> To make Hollopotrida/ with all ingredients

I asked earlier how to classify such a food item. However, it looks like
with this new original recipe and it's translation and interpretation
that a single file for Ola Potrida will be the way to go. But I've seen
at least two spellings here. Was the other the English version and this
is the German? Or is this spelling arachic? If you were looking in the
Florilegium for such a dish where would you look and under what spelling?

(Yes, yes. I can hear you now. We can't spell "Florilegium", so how
do you expect us to spell Hollopotrida? Well, I don't know...)

> I.
> RJndtfleisch in einer Bru:eh abgesotten/ biþ gar ist/ doch dz nit
> versotten/ auþ der Bru:eh auþgezogen/ vn{d} kalt lassen werden/
> vnd die Bru:eh auffgehaben/ vnd sauber zugedeckt.
> I.
> Beef cooked in broth/ till it is done/ but not
> overcooked/ pulled from the broth/ and let cool/
> and the broth reserved/ and cleanly covered.

Gwen-Cat I think this format would work fine. If it can be done,
regular ASCII character equivalents should be used for any German
characters to lessen their chance of loss during various formatting
translations. Not everyone has the fancy German and other fonts
installed.

> 3. Ruckgradt vom Schwein/ wol gesotten auþ der Bru:eh gezogen/ vn{d}
> kalt lassen werden.
> 3. Backbone of (a) pig/ pulled from the broth (when) well cooked/ and
> let cool.

"Backbone"? Is this getting the meat off the backbone? or the
bone itself?

> 11. Gebraten Rephu:enner oder Feldthu:enner.
> 11. Roast partridges or
>
> 12. Gesotten Rephu:enner/ die halb gar seindt.
> 12. Cooked partridges/ that are half-way cooked.

"Cooked"? How? Boiled? There are lots of these pairs in
this recipe, one roasted and one cooked.

> 13. Haselhu:enner nicht gar an die statt gebraten.
> 13. Grouse not roasted through.
>
> 14. Gesotten Haselhu:enner/ die halb gar seindt.
> 14. Cooked grouse/ that are half cooked.

Another of these pairs.

> 15. Fasan der halb gebraten.
> 15. Pheasant that is half roasted.
>
> 16. Fasan der halb gesotten.
> 16. Pheasant that is half cooked.

And another pair.

> 41. Gebraten Birckhan/ oder Birckhenn.
> 41.  Roasted black grouse.
> <>
> 42. Gesotten Birckhan.
> 42. Cooked black grouse.

And another. There seem to be a number of medieval recipes where
the meat is first cooked one way and then another. I don't
remember seeing any others where the same meat is cooked in
two different ways and then combined. Anyone?

> 73. Rindern Lungenbraten.
> 73. Beef lung-roast.

Is this roasted beef lungs? Or something else?

> Enjoy the translation and please lets discuss alternatives, and if you
> prepare this let me know how it turns out ;-)

Some of these ingredients may require substitutions like the beef lungs
if that is what they are. But with so many different ingredients, I
imagine you could leave some out without a big differance in taste.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net