SC - lavendar-OT-OOP

Etain1263@aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Tue Jun 6 05:25:28 PDT 2000

allilyn at juno.com wrote:

> >>I have found forcemeat recipes which sound very much like what I
> understand a
> terrine to be.  They are made of ground meat with various seasonings and
> often
> formed into some sort of loaf arrangement!>>
>
> Kiri,
>
> In the collection of English recipes, that's called a mortrews.  We are
> certainly learning a lot about consistencies, vocabularies and the
> persistence of mush, aren't we?  ;-)

Oh, definitely! A terrine, though, is generally made from raw meat,
etc., packed into an earthenware pot/mold, and baked, while a mortrews
is, as far as I know, invariably made from minced, and pounded,
previously cooked meat, then thickened with bread or other starchy
stuff. As for the idea of mortrews being molded, it's a nice idea, and
makes sense, but how much evidence do you really have for this actually
being done? It occurs to me that unless you have a recipe or a specific
reference to mortrews in connection with molds, a feast description, or
some such (which you may actually have, for all I know), it would be
hard to make that strong a case for it. Of course it's still perfectly
viable as speculation.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy