SC - Cariadoc's books

Etain1263@aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Tue Jun 6 05:33:28 PDT 2000

>  If I remember correctly, the skins on grapes and raisins are a good source
>  > of yeasts. It may simply be that adding a few raisins was a good source
>  > of yeast. Of course nowadays since we can buy dried yeasts the raisins
>  > would not be needed for this.

Malolactic fermentation in the bottle, acheived by adding fruit to the
yeast-rich beer , will certainly produce a different flavor than simply
adding another dose of "priming sugar" or yeast.  I think this may be the
reason for adding the raisins, rather than the yeast they may or may not
provide.  The world famous Lambic beer out of Belgium uses malolactic
fermentation (in the fermenting tank, I believe), as well as a strain of wild
yeast specific to the general area, to produce one of the most uniquely
flavored ales in the world.  If you have never tried a Belgian Lambic, I
would highly reccommend (are there too many letters in that word?  Or is it
just really late?) it.  It is, in my opinion, the true "champagne" of beers.
Sour, sweet, and highly fruity, with a fine bubble very similar to champagne.
 Lindemanns Lambic is available in the US, and is a quality product.  of
course, it is not cheap...try $3-4 per bottle.

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(who really shouldn't be up this late, since I have a lunch date later this
afternoon)
Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?