SC - Cariadoc's Books

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 6 21:53:32 PDT 2000

At 3:12 AM -0400 6/6/00, allilyn at juno.com wrote:
>  Your Grace, I have been longing to hear the story of how a good
>Maghrebi persona comes to have a good Welsh name.  It's bedtime, so tell,
>please?

It's in the Miscellany (from an old T.I. article)--the only article
in the Miscellany that wasn't written by me or my lady.

The short version is:

1. I was loosely basing my persona on Carahue of Mauritania, and
somehow thought "Cariadoc" was a variant of "Carahue."

2. I then got a friend who was a professional linguist to get a
friend of his who was an Arabist to put together a plausible Arabic
name which might have been mispronounced "Cariadoc" by Europeans, on
the model of Avicenna, Saladin, etc.

3. The Arabic means "He of exquisite taste."

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/