SC - 90 ingredients Holloptrida translation / Zurwenada

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jun 10 05:06:29 PDT 2000

Balthazar wrote:

>I think, at least by looking at the recipe, that the term "bake" is a
>misnomer, and should actually be "griddle" or "grill" or some such.  Of
>course, I don't know if, in Scotland, they don't call "griddling" "baking".
>Does that make sense?

It does. F. Marian McNeill says "bake on a hot girdle till lightly browned"
in Recipes from Scotland. And I see Laura Mason says "bake on a hot girdle"
in Traditional Foods of Britain and uses the term "girdle-baking"
frequently. And talks about baking pancakes and so on.

However, most traditional Scottish oatcake recipes I´ve seen call for the
oatcakes being cooked on one side on a girdle, then toasted in front of the
fire or under a grill or in the oven. For instance, a recipe from The
Scottish Women´s Rural Institute Cookery Book (fifth edition, 1938) says:
"Bake one side on girdle till corners begin to curl, toast in front of fire
or under grill. May also be baked in moderately hot oven."

Nanna