SC - Cooks Guild badges and Motto and intro

Jane M Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 10 13:49:46 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/10/00 1:20:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
vikinglord at worldnet.att.net writes:

> Hi,
>  I just got on the list. My name is Lady Jana Aoibeall, I am from CAID,
>  Calafia.(Southern California)  I belong to the Household of the Blackened
>  Pot.  We are a cooking household. Most of our members are not that
>  interested in period food as good food.  I am the exception.  I really want
>  to learn about period food.

Hello, and welcome to the list!!  Here you will find almost anything you
could ever want to know about period food, cooking, and techniques.  The
gentles on this list are a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge, and always
willing to share.  You are, as I have found out, in very good company.

>  My question is to Norse cooking, around the time of the Vikings.  I have
>  been asked to cook a winter feast for a Viking war band I belong to 'Drafn'
>  and would like to make it as period as possible.  Last year we had roasted
>  chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and peas.  EEEEK.

I am familiar with Drafn.  As a matter of fact, there is currently a
discussion on Norse recipe availability on the list right now.  You may want
to consider checking out that thread in the archives or the Florilegium.

>  A little more about just me.  I am a wife, mother of two, my interest are
>  cooking, illumination, and costuming, I also dabble in brewing, needle work
>  and weaving.  So many cool things to learn, so little time.

I, too, am beginning to delve into period illumination, and would love to
exchange notes/ideas with you.  Drop me a line off list if you have the time.
 Again, welcome to the List!

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?