SC - Poppa's mustard

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 12 21:07:09 PDT 2000

- -Poster:<Elysant at aol.com>

Thomas wrote:

>There are quotations in the OED:
>-- 1606 Peacham Art of Drawing 68 "A blew stone, such as they make Haver
>or Oten cakes upon". [What does that mean?]

I would guess the blew stone is a bake stone such as the bake stone that
Welsh Cakes and other old Welsh cakes and pancakes are cooked on.   I'm also
wondering if "blew stone" is Bluestone perhaps - stone of the same type used
at Stone Henge for the inner circle - and transported to the site from Wales.
 Perhaps Bluestone has good heat retaining properties or something making it
a good choice for using as a bakestone?

There is a Welsh word "blew" but it means "hair", so I was thinking the
reference "blew stone" was more visually descriptive of the stone perhaps
than that the author  might be using a Celtic word as a descriptor, although
Scottish Gaelic words are sometimes a little different from Welsh and "blew"
might mean something else for them....

Elysant