SC - Poppa's mustard

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Jun 14 07:23:15 PDT 2000

So, how does one re-educate SCA event-goers to get them to accept - even
anticipate - a more period feast. One that runs all day with breaks for
dancing or fighting or court, or one with dozens of foods, so that diners
don't necessarily get a chance to eat from each one?

My best idea is a small (<50) "over-the-top" feast, that probably costs the
attendees somewhere around $25 each. The pros are that the handful of people
who would really appreciate such an event would be there. The cons are that
the actual number of people who you expose to this is very small, and that
the cost becomes prohibitive if there's more than two people from one family
who attend.

Any other ideas?

Maredudd

<snip>

> We also tend to telescope our feasts into the rather narrow modern
> concept of a mealtime. We rarely do an all-day feast with
> four hours of
> fighting between courses, and many people, though in garb and in other
> ways professing to be in persona, balk at the idea of
> spending more than
> a couple of hours in a feast hall when there are meetings,
> official and
> unofficial politicking, and flirting to be done.

<snip>