SC - questions

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 09:39:14 PDT 2000

Stefan asked:

>Hmm. And how does working exclusively from a single manuscript get you
>a period menu? Some would say this is only slightly better than saying
>cooking exclusively with period ingredients gives you a period dish.

I'm wondering if there is a misunderstanding of terms here...mine or
Stefan's.  I understood the use of "single manuscript" by Ras to be
the equivalent of saying "period cookbook".  If Stefan means that taking
5 dishes from the meat section, 3 from the fish, and X number from other
parts would not make a "provable" period menu, well perhaps it might not
but one might be able to justify it from menues that have been reported.
One late period "manuscript" does mention that the dishes inside are what
one needs to make a banquet (meaning dessert course).

Alys Katharine