SC - Period menus

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Thu Jun 15 08:24:30 PDT 2000

Hi all,

here's one of the shorter menus from menagier just for example.  it's only
18 dishes, well within the ability of an SCA group to produce.  there are
only 2 fish dishes and most of the rest is fairly normal food - if you eat
bambi & thumper :->  Follow it with some wafers & hippocras & you'd have a
fine meal.
I have one off subject quesion: re the "white beets",  are these a member of
the beet family or some other vegetable?

Eden - who thinks beets taste like dirt so doesn't pay much attention to
them.

from Le Menagier de Paris  Translated by Janet Hinson  (with notes by
Elizabeth Cook)
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html

IX. Another Meat Dinner.

First dish. White beets, beef pies, olives and sciaenas[an edible fish
(JH)]., soup of hares and coneys, a pie of shad, coarse meat.

Second dish. Roast: boar's tail with hot sauce 26, decorated fricassee,
olives, sweetened milk with crusts in it, venison, browned [vegetables],
jellies, crusts in milk a la dodine, capon pies, cold sage soup, pies of cow
and talemouse[13].

[13]cut bread? (JH). But according to Terrance Scully, this is a kind of
cheese and egg pie (EGC).

WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com